Thursday, September 20, 2012

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea


Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Dover Thrift Editions) by Jules Verne
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've finally read a Jules Verne book. And I have to say, I am unimpressed. It's like he had a encyclopedia of ocean life next to him and regurgitated it back to me with a bit of story to wrap it up. The story was interesting, but page after page of description of undersea life was, frankly, overdone and boring. I enjoy descriptions, loving the imagery painted in my mind by authors such as Tolkien. But Verne doesn't use common vernacular to describe his scenery, he uses all scientific terms. So I spent a good deal of time looking up various terms while reading this book, which would make it ideal for reading while studying marine biology. But it was not at all pleasant to read for enjoyment.

Kindle Edition: Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment