Thursday, September 20, 2012

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief


The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) by Rick Riordan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I saw the movie first. And the concept made me interested enough to read the book. I had the incentive to read the book now, rather than later, because my daughters are interested in reading it. What a pleasure it was to read, too. Yes, many parts were predictable (maybe due to my seeing the movie first), but it was a romping good adventure anyways. There are enough mature themes for me to say my children must be at least 11 before they can read this series

Themes that I feel are too mature for readers younger:
1. There is some environmentalist stuff thrown in, little enough to make it easy to ignore, but enough to make it something you should discuss with your kids.
2. Lack of adult supervision.
3. Life & death situations.
4. The harshness of the relationships with the parents (this and number 5 are the main reasons I am making my kids reach a certain age).
5. There is a murder done at the end of the book by one of the major characters on a not nice, but innocent person. This probably bothered me the most, but as it not big on details and just glazes over the event, I decided to let the kids read as it is a very Ancient Greek way of doing things and in line with the tone of the book.

Kindle Edition: The Lightning Thief, film edition

No comments:

Post a Comment