Friday, September 21, 2012

Fablehaven: Keys to the Demon Prison


Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven) by Brandon Mull
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Picked up from the library yesterday and started today (4/14).

This was the fifth and final book of the Fablehaven series. A great read even though it's a fairly easy and quick read. Brandon Mull brings a new world within our own to life vividly without any of the trash that is common to fantasy and sci fi nowadays. I would have absolutely no problem with my ten year old daughter reading these. His descriptions are interesting and easy to picture in the mind's eye. My favorite thing besides the family friendly aspect of these is the imagination behind them. The whole idea of preserves for fairy creatures is fantastic, and something I've never heard anything like before.

The reason this recieved four stars instead of five is because the end seemed rushed. I could tell Mull was trying to tie up all his loose ends, give all his characters a happy ending and do it in one final book without making the book too long. I think it would have served the series more justice to have included more details and made this last book into two.

I look forward to reading future novels by Mr. Mull and hope he continues in the vein of totally new and family friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment