Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Miracle Girls by Anne Dayton & May Vanderbilt



So, I read this based on a friend's review.  And all I can really say about it was that it was okay.  Not bad.  Not great.

The story is a sweet idea and it might have resonated with me more if I was a teenager.  It was refreshing to read something wholesome, not filled with violence, profanity, and/or sex.  I would have no issue with letting my daughters read this if they were so inclined.

I really liked two of the Miracle Girls – Zoe and Christine.  Their characters worked for me because they were similar to girls that I knew in high school, but didn’t feel like stereotypes.  They had personalities that felt believable.  But Ana and Riley felt like forced caricatures of typical types found in high school.  This made me really not care about what was going on in their stories.  And several of the situations presented to further to plot just felt trite and cliché.

Though I wasn’t super impressed with character development, I really enjoyed the writing style.  The way things were described wasn’t over the top in detail, but I knew exactly what was happening.  Specifically the scenes of Maria and Ana in the kitchen, when she was getting food out of the fridge.  Or whenever they were drinking diet coke.  I enjoyed the way these descriptions were written because they felt natural and real.

So, to sum up.  I enjoyed the ideas and writing style, but felt the character development was lacking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment