Sunday, February 12, 2017

Mormon Scientist by Henry J. Eyring



I have never been much of one for biographies and memoirs.  But this year, I set myself the goal of always having one I'm working on.  My first choice was Mormon Scientist.  And I'm so glad it was. 

Brother's Eyring's view of how things are is so clear and uncluttered.  I really took to heart his ability to take what seems like an unsolvable paradox (science vs. religion) to so many and say, there is no paradox - what you think is a paradox is something we just don't fully understand yet.  His sense of humor and being so down to earth makes him immensely relatable.  His ability to articulate difficult ideas in everyday speech helps to understand where he's coming from and teach me more about myself.

As a Latter-day Saint and a homeschooler, I've struggled a lot with how to approach teaching science to my children.  I didn't want to teach them anything contrary to doctrine and was constantly bombarded with arguments about how science is wrong because it doesn't support religion.  But I didn't feel in my heart that science was wrong!  I've always wanted to teach my children pure science, but shied away for fear of leading them astray.  This book helped me realize that my innermost feelings were right and should have been listened to.  Teach them pure science.  Teach them pure religion.  And help them to understand that where there seems to be contradictions, it just means there is something we don't understand yet - keep working on it.  Don't give up on science or religion to protect the other.  Through both, we grow into better people - which is really the whole point of this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment