Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Till We Have Faces by CS Lewis



I really like this book. I couldn't put it down. As a fan of Greek/Roman mythology in high school, I was already familiar with the myth of Cupid and Psyche. But I never heard of this book by CS Lewis. I know, I know. My adolescence was sorely lacking in someone to guide me to classics despite my voracious reading habits. Thank goodness for book club and better read friends in adulthood!

This book is beautiful. It turns the classic myth on it's head and gives it from a whole new point of view - that of the sister. It comes at morality and love from a perspective that is not common. It rolls you right along with the sister's feelings so well that you don't readily recognize how in the wrong she is until you're supposed to, even if you already know the story of Psyche. And the redemption at the end is also wonderful. It almost feels like CS was linking Cupid's role to that of Christ (something common in many of his works). Which would seem really odd, but in the way this is written - it works. It also plays on many of the class differences, gender inequality, and blindly following a religion without thought that was so common in that era. I found it very enlightening.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in the classics, a fan of CS Lewis, or lover of mythology

No comments:

Post a Comment